I am addicted to watching the Olympics. Every two
years I tell myself I will not get absorbed into
watching every minute of coverage, but I always
somehow fail. There are so many interesting stories,
absorbing sports, and fascinating athletes. And the
athletes are all so darn cute in the Winter Olympics,
more so than the Summer Olympics I think, even though
they wear more clothes. Who can resist? Not me,
apparently.
So, last night I cheated and looked on-line to see who
won the men's halfpipe because I had to go to bed - it
was almost 11:00 and they were still showing the
different runs and stuff but I needed my beauty sleep.
And I'd watched TV all weekend since the opening
ceremonies on Friday so I decided it was safe to let
it go for a few hours.
Part of me feels very sorry for Michelle Kwan, but
another part of me says she and her coaches should
have known she would either reinjure the groin or
cause another injury elsewhere (which is apparently
what happened) because she has not been able to skate
with a competitive edge for a long time. You can't go
all out when you're coming off of an injury - and this
is the Olympics! You have to be at your absolute peak
or you run the risk of just embarrassing yourself
because there are a lot of athletes from all over the
world all trying to win the same prize.
And, Michelle has never been outstanding at the
Olympics - she had her chance when Tara Lipinski
skated right through everybody (that could have been
Michelle just as easily as Tara but she was not on),
and she had her chance in the last Olympics when she
just couldn't get it together. So, oh well, so swell.
She had her chance. I'm curious to see how Emily
Hughes performs under the world's spotlight.
No comments:
Post a Comment